Monday, August 13, 2012

Surviving the weekend...

I did it.. I survived the weekend with Mom and Dad in Dallas. And actually had a good time to boot.

So we left Thursday morning- I had said we would be leaving at 6 am, knowing full well that we would not be heading out of Shreveport til about 7:30 (more like 8am) I decided to take the "back way" to I20, cause of course it's faster and more direct than going all the way into town on I220 to hit I20 and head west to Dallas. EXCEPT- I took the WRONG back road- despite my "inner compass" Mama telling me "I don't think this is the right way, I think you went the wrong way" and me saying, "Mama, this is the back way, it's faster, it takes you straight to I20 at the truck stop".. I ate crow about 10 minutes later when I realized, "Oops, no, this takes us to Waskom.. still on I20, but not quite where I thought it would come out" Damn I hate that my Mama is ALWAYS right!

Made good time, and even with the stop in Canton and the beloved Dairy Palace, we made Dallas an hour and a half before my Dad's appointment at Baylor Medical Center. So what are we going to do for an hour and a half? Weeelllll, as luck would have it they were having a WONDERFUL sale on the second floor of the medical office building- tables and tables full of jewelry, scarfs, hats, watches, and everything was $5!! I was in heaven... 2 rings, 2 bracelets, 2 pairs of earrings for my Mama and a pretty ruby ring for my Goddaughter later, and it was only 30 more minutes til the appointment! w

All that went well.. Dad's doing great, and we go back in 3 months for another appointment. We checked in at the hotel, and while Dad hit the sack, Mama and I headed to The Old Monk, a fantastic little pub on North Henderson Avenue in Dallas.
Great beer selection, and delicious pub food. I had planned to try something different this time, but I found myself ordering a Crispen Cider and the Plowman's Lunch- a fantastic platter with French Onion soup, toasted french bread, and your choice of two cheeses from their wonderful cheese selection. This time I got the St. Andre' and the Brie.. I had never tried Brie, and I was feeling adventurous! The St. Andre' was heavenly! It's a triple cream French cheese, smooth and almost sweet. The Brie was a bit tangy for my taste, but good, none the less. Mama also got the Plowman's- with Guiness Stout stew and two different types of cheese. We split an order of their Killer Mushrooms- a mix of portabella and button mushrooms fried in beer batter with a delicious spicy basil sour cream. YUM!

Mom and I stopped by Denny's on the way back to the room and got Daddy a cheese burger and a salad- his request.. can't believe he missed out on The Monk!!

So that was Day #1- more to come on Day #2! Ohh, the anticipation!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment